Written by: Darlene Esmeralda
Dragon fruit or red pitaya belongs to the Cactaceae family from the subfamily Cactoidea of the tribe Cactea. The Dragon fruit is indigenous to Central America exported from several Southeast Asian countries like Thailand, Taiwan, Sri Lanka, Vietnam and Bangladesh , Pitahaya plants can have up to 4-6 fruiting cycles per year.
Pitaya or Dragon fruit is also known to have some health benefits. Below are the health benefits of this amazing fruit.
HEALTH BENEFITS FROM DRAGON FRUIT
- Dragon fruit promotes healing of wounds and cuts.
- Dragon fruit improves appetite.
- Dragon fruit improves eye sight
- Dragon fruit can aid in weight reduction
- Dragon fruit improves memory
- Dragon fruit boosts immune system. Dragon fruit is rich in vitamin C and fibers that help provide an overall healthy body.
- Dragon fruit was rich in fiber that helps in digesting food
- Dragon fruit help to lower blood glucose levels in type 2 diabetes
- Dragon fruit is rich in minerals and fibers that aids in digestion, cleans toxic ingredients thus preventing the occurrence of colon cancer.
- Dragon fruit as anti-oxidant.
- Dragon fruit is also rich in flavonoids that are known to have favorable effects against cardio related disease.
- Help against asthma and cough
Have you ever tried a dragon fruit before? What do you think of it?